Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Own The Stage


April 28 Clt 102
"Own The Stage" was good. I missed the first performance. But I think I caught the rest.
  • Cholo: performance was the R&B sex song/ strip dance routine. The Ladies appreciated it more more than I did. He could sing but hearing how deep he can go didn't really impress me to much. (Again it might be because I'm a dude.)
  • Demarcus: has a voice similar to John Legend, the dude could really sing, he received criticism from the audience, but I thought he was good.
  • Victory (??): singing over a Keri Hilson instrumental was not the best choice, but when asked to sing acapella, made me think she should of chosen a different song to display her vocal talent.
  • Overtyme: displayed a really colorful personality which ended up being the only good thing about his performance. The corny "I'm Fly" type of song didn't really impress anybody.
  • (First dude): did a song for the city he calls home, B-More, it was not a bad song, even though I can't really recall what it was called or sounded like. He definitely could have did more to make it more rememberable and work on his wordplay.
  • G.M.S.: did not strike me as original creative, or great during their performance. I believe It was about getting money.
  • Solo da Dan: seemed to be one of the highlights of the evening with his song that I heard before and liked. Similarities to Chamillionaire be damned. If he works on making his style more original and less like another southern rapper he will get alot better. He also spoke about appearing on mix tapes with Dj Drama and Raheem Devaghn which was suprising.
  • M.C.: reminded the audience of Lupe Fiasco when he went. His subject matter started going in random places, which hurt his score. Overall he needs to work on his lyricism.
Pros:
  • T-Rock insightful poem about dark skin.
  • The mistake of eliminating Solo, giving him more spotlight time
  • Most of the artists were audible, so they did a better job with volume control
  • The host could sing
  • Shouting out "Lab House Production", along with everyone else.
Cons:
  • Men lie, Women lie had no point
  • Dudes dropping it low
  • The judges messing up the numbers
  • That dude who jumped on the table where the judges sat during his performance.
  • Victoria (sp) singing to Keri Hilson's slow dance instrumental
  • The same girl getting lab dances from two different singers
  • M.C.'s laundry folding music losing focus and subject matter going in random places
Final impression: The show was O.K., I want to see the second part on May 10.

No comments: